Wednesday, January 27, 2010

RETRO PIX OF THE DAY---This one takes more than 140 characters to explain.

Dateline:  Portales, New Mexico. Lindsey Elementary School.  1st grade homeroom teacher was Miss Romero.  Somewhere along the way that year she became Mrs. Thomas.  Talk about messing with a young man’s head?  I thought people could just change their names at will.

She must have been from South Texas too because I remember saving egg shells all year long so we could make Cascarones for Easter.    Otherwise the cascarones tradition was lost on us Eastern New Mexico peeps.  Way cool.

I’m the one in striped pants.   When are striped pants coming back in style?  Notice most of the boys are wearing hard heeled shoes?  I can’t remember if this was just part of dressing up for Picture Day or if we wore them all the time?

I remember everyone’s name except for two of the kids. 

Back row from Left to Right:  Lucy, Martin, Patricia, Debbie, Gilbert, Junior, unknown kid #1, unknown kid #2, Michael and Tony.

Front row from Left to Right:  Me!, Cynthia, Archie, Jerry (RIP), Pete, Bobby, Brenda, Robin, Jimmy and Mitzi.

Funny that I’m only related to one kid in this picture considering my step-family is huge and the relation is  from my mom’s side of the family.  Hello cousin Jimmy.

Tricky Dick on the calendar.  Oh those were the days. LOL.

I remember the drawing on the bulletin board by the calendar was mine.  I was always a teacher’s pet. It’s a kite.

1st grade was the year I got hit in the eye with a rock.  They would discover my detached retina in 2001.  I had a detached retina all those years.  I was a tough kid.

Can you tell Lindsey Elementary was in “taco town”?  Everyone in this class was Latino or “Spanish” as we grew up calling ourselves, except for one kid.  Hello. Robin.

I hear they are knocking down Lindsey Middle School now and building a brand spanking new school right next door.  Ahh the memories. 

PS:  Mr. Glasscock was the principal for years.  In my best Beavis & Butthead voice:  ha huh, he said Glasscock.

PPS:  I am an open book.

PPPS:  I will stop reminiscing now.

Posted via email from FoodAndHowToEat: It.

No comments:

Post a Comment